<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.firehousechefdew.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Firehouse Chef Dewey: My Kitchenaid Mixer....and inspiration from my friend at Sold Gold Eats...Thanks Sara

Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Kitchenaid Mixer....and inspiration from my friend at Sold Gold Eats...Thanks Sara

After reading my friends blog this morning of how much she would love a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, it sparked some of the exact feelings I had while trying to bake during the recent Kicked Up Sandwich Campaign I recently finished for Emeril, I had a small hand mixer that it works but not like a stand mixer, I have one at the firehouse so I know how much better life is with one, but I know right now in my life financially I can't afford to make the investment in a Brand spanking new KitchenAid Stand Mixer, as much as I really would like too... I have 3 small children all in school, looking at school tuition, and upcoming tuition so my wife can follow her dream of becoming a paramedic, bills, etc..just not possible.

Just so happened to be watching TV at the firehouse between calls and I happened to catch an episode of Barter Kings, I'm a fan of the Shows like this, Pawn Stars, Storage wars, etc...If my channel isn't on the Food Network, Its on shows like this or the Tattoo Shows, I'm a huge fan of Ink...have a bunch and want more...lol again...the almighty $$$$...sacrifice for the family and by no means am I upset...I love my wife and kids tremendously, I work 2 FT Jobs to try and make ends meet and its still difficult to do....

So after watching the show, I started a search on Craigslist for a Kitchenaid Mixer in the Barter section and behold I find one....only draw back is it was for the mixer only, and no attachments, it came with a bowl, and the bowl attachment with a ramp for adding ingredients...so I emailed the ad, and I got a response, I agreed that I understood that it came with no paddle, hook, or whisk another hurdle but I would have the heart and soul....of my stand mixer. I had something he wanted he had something I wanted and we met to trade...

I see the stand mixer, its an older model the k-45, its seen its better days, but you can obviously tell this machine was well used, and I'm sure if the mixer itself could tell stories or share recipes, I'd fill a cookbook and some. The cord is an older cord aged, the paint in some areas of the mixer gone from the heavy use and the the bowl being put on and off the bowl itself had dings, or should I say Character. I was excited to get her home....now I had to get attachments another search on CL, nothing so...but by chance a friends said I bought the wrong paddle I opened it washed it, and didn't want to take it back....you can have it....so I couldn't wait to get it home and use it....

My first thing I made in it was Emeril's recipe for Chocolate wafers with a Peanut Butter Fudge, I started to assemble my ingredients went to put on the paddle and it wouldn't turn to lock into place....I started to panic....was the reason he traded it it it was broke....took a deep breath and and performed a little emergency TLC and she was fine, I cleaned the spring cleaned out some caked on flour and stuff from the spring which is a normal aged problem I'd guess and my paddle popped on and locked into place no problem....

I was smiling from ear to ear...I added my ingredients and started to make the dough and I was back on cloud 9, I finally after 20 years had my own Kitchenaid Stand mixer, she ain't pretty, but she works like a charm, I still need to get some replacement attachments for her, and maybe a new bowl....but I have one, It is a staple in the kitchen, I constantly have been using when I'm home, and my wife uses. So for now my dream Professional 600™ Series | Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer | Flour Power™ Rating - 14 Cup will have to wait...I hopefully can find the replacement attachments....and give my K-45 a few more years of love....

1 Comments:

At October 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Sara said...

I love this post! So glad I gave you some inspiration. I, too, felt the urge to make more of the breads and desserts in Emeril's Kicked-Up Sandwiches but was intimidated by the fact that I was without a stand mixer. So happy for you!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home