<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.firehousechefdew.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Firehouse Chef Dewey: Mandatory OT and I get to Cook....Great Day!!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mandatory OT and I get to Cook....Great Day!!

Well another 24 of OT, wasn't looking forward to working missed my Little Guys First Soccer game, but got to do what we have to do....Hopefully he'll understand when he's older... But on the brighter side, I'm on mandatory to, I'm playing Engineer and they let me cook...so thats always a bonus....so whats on the menu for the day....

Lunch!
Hoboken NJ Italian Sausage and Pepper sandwiches!!! and a homemade cold Pasta Salad

I sliced up 2 white Onions Large, 3-4 green peppers, 3-4 red peppers, and I had a 4lb ring of Italian Sausage.

In a very Large cast iron skillett I add EVOO a decent amount, this actually is part of the Juice for the sandwich....I brown the ring on one side, kind of a pain and you flip...only time!!! so not too bad, after you flip you add the peppers and onions over the top of the ring I add some italian seasoning and put a cover over and let it cook medium high/high until the onions and peppers break down. the reason you cover it steams and creates an amazing juice that adds to the sandwich on the bottom while you cook. I cook for 45-60 min. or until its the softness you like on the onions and peppers...I like them super soft.... and then I use a crusty Italian Bread for the sandwich...so Good, I learned to Make that while visiting the Hoboken New Jersey Firehouse a single truck house a friend was assigned to years ago as the officer and this is what he made for lunch.....This was my first taste of the Famous Carlos Bakery in NJ...Home of the Famous Cake Boss...we stopped and bought Canoli's and and bread...my favorite way to have sausage and peppers...

Pasta salad is just an easy quick recipe

I use the Lunch meat ends from the Deli they sell them by us, and its cheese and lunchmeat I bought a package of each and it was italian lunch meat ends and cheese. $2.00 for 2.5lb of meat and cheese..
I cut them into cubes, I cut a small package of cherry tomatos in half add to a bowl and then I add 1lb of Bowtie Pasta cooked and ran under cold water as it drains. I add a little romano cheese and my favorite Italian salad dressing I used Olive Garden Italian today just enough to coat I add a little at a time..

Dinner

I'm making Grilled Steak Burritos

I bought 2 lbs of Flank steak, had the butcher clean it up and remove the fat, slice it and into 3 pieces, then I made a marinade of 15 limes, green chile powder, EVOO, Adobo, Cilantro, and a shot of Cuervo Gold Tequila. the steak has been in the Marinade since 11am. When Dinner rolls around I'm going to grill it on the Gas Grill, let it sit for a few min...and slice.

Im making red beans and rice, and refried beans with chorizzo.

Homemade Pico di gallo, guacamole..
Shredded lettuce, diced tomato, Fresco Cheese, onion, cilantro, Hatch Green chilies...

Nothing special today but alot of good eats...

2 Comments:

At September 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM , Blogger marie said...

I make my Italian sausage sandwiches almost the same way as yours except that I boil them first. Just paranoid about their being cooked through.

Will have to try the pasta salad. I'll bet that would be great heated up too as a casserole! Now I'm hungry Dewey!

 
At September 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nah, no worries about boiling them they steam once you you put the EVOO on the bottom and the moisture from the peppers and Onions drip into the EVOO making an amazing sauce.......and with browning both sides and the steam cooks the rest....My favorite sausage to use is the Garlic from Natoli's on Belmont in Chicago near Cumberland....Amazing!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home